2018 NEW CHARTER APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
We thank you for your interest in the League of United Latin American Citizens! Our members throughout the United States and Puerto Rico are joined together in seeking a brighter future for all Hispanic Americans living in the United States.
Attached are the instructions and the necessary forms to apply for a charter within the League of United Latin American Citizens. For pdf versions of these forms please go to our website at www.lulac.org. Using any other forms other than the enclosed or online forms will delay the chartering process for your council. All paperwork must be returned in order to process the charter that includes the Annual Charter Agreement. Once the application is received by the National Office, it is presented to the National LULAC Executive Board for approval within a ten working day period. If there are no objections by the Board, the application is approved and the new council is issued a charter and unique council number. The council number is assigned by the director of membership services.
The application process takes approximately twenty days (20) to complete including approval and processing time. Failure to complete any part of the application package will cause delays. Once completed, a letter of acknowledgment will be mailed to the "council president" from the membership department. The charter and membership materials will be mailed out to the council contact.
Be sure to submit all required paperwork and fees to your state and district directors where applicable. Remember that to be in good standing with the National Office, each council must be in good standing with their state and district offices.
The Membership Office is headquartered in El Paso, Texas and is available to serve you Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm Mountain Standard Time. Please contact this office if you need any assistance with membership. Our staff is always happy to assist you in realizing LULAC’s mission in your community.
Should you have any questions please contact the Director of Membership Services at the address indicated below, or visit our web site at www.LULAC.org.
LULAC MEMBERSHIP SERVICES DEPARTMENT
221 N Kansas Street, Suite 501
El Paso, Texas 79901
BUS: (915) 577-0726 • FAX: (915) 577-0914
Thank you for your interest. I hope you will become part of the LULAC family in the near future.
Director of Membership Services
1. Application for Charter/ Contact Information Form: Complete the required information with the name of the person who will be the main contact, this person is usually the council president or treasurer. The “organizing officer” is usually the local LULAC district director or any current member (in good standing) who assisted and facilitated in the formation of the council. All LULAC Councils are required to have an EIN also known as you’re Tax ID Number. New Councils are required to get an EIN through the IRS (see www.lulac.org/ein and the form included at the end of this application). Be sure to submit your EIN to the Membership Office.
2. Contact Information Release Form: This form is a contact information release waiver authorizing the LULAC National Office to post contact information on the LULAC website.
3. New Member Application: Each new member is required to complete a 2018 Application for New Members. Two members of a neighboring council in good standing may sign to attest to the application. If a local council is not available, two members of the organizing council may sign for the person applying for membership.
4. Annual Council Charter Agreement: This agreement is part of the by-laws of the organization that explain the responsibilities and duties of the council, members, and the national organization. Sign and date the document. Keep a copy for your records and return the original to the Membership Office. If the Membership Office does not receive this signed agreement your charter will not be chartered and this application will be returned to you.
5. Proof of IRS Filing & Tax Compliance Checklist: Each charted LULAC council has to submit a Financial Activity Report or proof that a 990-N (e-Postcard) was filed with IRS. All LULAC Councils are required to electronically submit Form 990-N, also known as the e-Postcard, unless they choose to file a complete Form 990 or Form 990-EZ instead. Each chartered LULAC Council is considered by the IRS to be a 501(c) 4 nonprofit organization by virtue of LULAC National’s group exemption. This checklist will help your council ensure it is in compliance with IRS regulations covering 501(c) 4 nonprofit organizations. Complete in full, make a copy, and return to the membership office along with proof of IRS filing.
6. Worksheet and Council Membership Roster: Clearly print or type the name, address city/state and zip code and telephone number with area code. Please note that 10 members are required to maintain a council. Include fax numbers and email addresses. Please list members in alphabetical order if possible. Also, indicate the elected office of each member: Pres, VP, Sec, Treas, Parl, Chap, and Sgt at Arms. Also indicate whether Mr. Mrs. Ms. Dr. Rev. or any other relevant title. Also, please do not forget to include your EIN number. Lack of an EIN number will cause your council to not be recognized as tax exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)4 of IRS code.
NOTE: Once the appropriate forms are completed and the dues calculated, you can pay online or make and send your cashier check or money order payable to LULAC National for the total remittance due. National will not accept dues for district or state. Remember to always keep a copy of all paperwork and checks for your records. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Lupe Morales, Director of Membership Services, at (915) 577-0726 or via email at GMorales@lulac.org. Mail check with completed forms to the Membership Office in El Paso, Texas.
Download your forms
Please see under Fillable Forms