Director of Programs
Posted: Nov 22, 2022
Location: Washington, D.C., El Paso, TX, or Dallas, TX, US
Company: The League of United Latin American Citizens
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: JA-15-2022
OPENS: November 21, 2022
CLOSES: December 5, 2022
Position Title: Director of Programs
Location: Open in the Washington, D.C., El Paso, TX, or Dallas, TX
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Organization: The League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC) is a non-profit organization and serves as the nation’s largest and oldest civil rights volunteer-based organization that empowers Hispanic Americans and builds strong Latino communities. Headquartered in Washington, DC, with over 1,000 councils around the United States and Puerto Rico, LULAC’s programs, services and advocacy address the most important issues for Latinos, meeting critical needs of today and the future. For more information, visit www.LULAC.org.
Essential Duties: The Director of National Programs oversees all community programming initiatives in education, health, youth leadership, civic engagement, worker rights, immigrant services, economic empowerment and housing. Responsible for all administrative functions, strategic planning, budget management, request for proposals and all duties necessary to perform job responsibilities.
• Design and implement community initiatives that fulfill LULAC’s mission to empower Latinos at the local and national level.
• Support fundraising efforts by creating tailored program designs, proposal timelines and metrics/benchmarks for grants.
• Execute effective budget planning and emphasize cost reduction of program execution.
• Meet all funder expectations by ensuring program goals and objectives are met in a timely manner.
• Develop grassroots marketing strategies to build awareness of programs.
• Prepare all program related reports for submission to the management, government entities, federal officials, corporations, and foundations.
• Prepare and manage the process for programs requiring subgrants. This includes writing the request for proposal, selecting grantees, and managing the program and ensuring timely sub grantee reporting.
• Collaborate with internal entities, state, federal and local government officials, foundations and corporate partners to build relationships and maintain a network of individuals and groups to assist in coalition building to support the successful execution of programs across the country.
• Stay current on policy and advocacy issues affecting program areas.
• Develop facts sheets, outreach and promotional materials for use by staff, members, and partner organizations related to programs.
• Coordinate with the Communications Team to integrate program priorities and updates in newsletters, website content and other communication tools relating to programs.
• Create staffing plan for all major LULAC functions.
• Collaborate with development and policy staff to assist in identifying funding opportunities to apply for government, foundation and corporate grants that support programs.
• Manage programs staff.
• Other duties as assigned .
A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Political Science, English, Education, Social Work, Community Development, or other related field. Expierence may be substituted for experience.
• Minimum five years’ experience with community program management to include organizing and conducting community programs, and coalition building.
• Supervisory experience.
• Experience with seeking, organizing and working with volunteers for community programs.
Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Proficiency in oral and written English and Spanish.
• Experience working with grassroots advocates, Latinos, immigrant community members, employers, government and corporate grant officers and community-based organization.
• Experience in public speaking, conducting workshops and/or trainings with grassroots community members.
• Ability to synthesize information from various sources and present it in a variety of written formats and styles for a variety of audiences.
• Experience with managing multiple programs and projects simultaneously to ensure work plans, deadlines, budgets and goals are achieved
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has supervisory responsibilities as follows:
• Hiring, disciplining and termination of direct report employees.
• Responsible for assigning, overseeing and approving all employee assignment.
• Approves employees, time sheet, time off and any other requirements with time and attendance.
• Responsible for all aspects of performance management.
• Counsels or mentor’s employees as needed.
• Provides adequate training and assistance when required to carry out the function of the job.
• Communicates all necessary information for employee to be able to complete assignments successfully.
Work Environment: This job operates in a typical office setting. This position routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Physical Demands: This is largely a sedentary role; however, some physical aspects may be required. This would require the ability to lift, handle, and open boxes and/or containers; set up and breakdown displays; store and move materials to and from events, stand as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: This is a permanent full-time position. This position regularly requires long hours and frequent weekend work.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance: Required: Yes___ No x
Travel Requirements: Ability and willingness to travel throughout the United States and Puerto Rico.
Salary Range: $75,000/year
Commensurate according to years of experience. All employees must meet a 6-month probationary period. Continuation of this position after one year is dependent on the successful candidate meeting jointly determined financial goals.
- Accrual of 8 hours of sick time and 8 hours of vacation time per pay month.
- Life, Health, Dental and Vision Insurance Available for enrollment
- Retirement Plan includes a maximum of 4% matching contribution
- Eleven paid holidays.
LULAC is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. LULAC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. LULAC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.