Forms & Instructions
Subordinate Organizations Required Filing - Important : Organizations that fail to file an annual 990-series return or notice for three consecutive years will automatically lose their tax-exempt status.
2014 Re-Charter Application Instructions
- Application for Re Charter/ Contact Information Form: Complete the required information with the name of the person who will be the main contact, this person is usually the council president or treasurer. Also, be sure to include your council’s Employer Identification Number (EIN). All LULAC Councils are required to have an EIN also known as you’re Tax ID Number. New Councils are required to get an EIN through the IRS (see www.lulac.org/ein and the form included at the end of this application). Be sure to submit your EIN to the Membership Office.
- Contact Information Release Form: This form is a contact information release waiver authorizing the LULAC National Office to post contact information on the LULAC website.
- New Member Application:Each new member is required to complete a 2014 Application for New Members. Two members of a neighboring council in good standing may sign to attest to the application. If a local council is not available, two members of the organizing council may sign for the person applying for membership.
- Annual Council Charter Agreement: This agreement is part of the by-laws of the organization that explain the responsibilities and duties of the council, members, and the national organization. Sign and date the document. Keep a copy for your records and return the original to the Membership Office. If the Membership Office does not receive this signed agreement your charter will not be renewed and this application will be returned to you.
- Tax Compliance Checklist: Each chartered LULAC Council is considered by the IRS to be a 501(c)4 nonprofit organization by virtue of LULAC National’s group exemption. This checklist will help your council ensure it is in compliance with IRS regulations covering 501(c)4 nonprofit organizations. Complete in full, make a copy, and return to the membership office
- Worksheet and Council Membership Roster: Clearly print or type the name, address city/state and zip code and telephone number with area code. Please note that 10 members are required to maintain a council. Include fax numbers and email addresses. Please list members in alphabetical order if possible. Also, indicate the elected office of each member: Pres, VP, Sec, Treas, Parl, Chap, Sgt at Arms. Also indicate whether Mr. Mrs. Ms. Dr. Rev. or any other relevant title. Also, please do not forget to include your EIN number. Lack of an EIN number will cause your council to not be recognized as tax exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)4 of IRS code.
Once the appropriate forms are completed and the dues calculated, make your checks payable to LULAC National for the total remittance due. National will not accept dues for district or state. Remember to always keep a copy of all paperwork and checks for your records. Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact Lupe Morales, Director of Membership Services, at (866) 577-0726 or via email at GMorales@lulac.org. Mail check with completed forms to the Membership Office in El Paso, Texas.