We honor our elders with the love and compassion they deserve for their personal sacrifices. Now is the time for us to be mindful of the risk for our elders if exposed to Coronavirus. High-risk exists for seniors because of their age or pre-existing health conditions. LULAC is here to provide our elders with the information and resources they need to stay healthy during these trying times. Explore our list of resources to help you care for your loved and find activities in new and different ways that can be fulfilling.
Older adults, 65 years and older, are at higher risk for severe illness. COVID-19 is a new disease and we are learning more about it every day.
COVID-19 Recursos Para Adultos Mayores y sus Cuidadores
The National Council on Aging (NCOA), has created a Spanish language landing page of resources related to COVID-19. Included here is a link to the page and a video on the page that is very helpful in explaining in clear terms the virus, its impact, and prevention.
Assistance for the Elderly
Vulnerable seniors are at the greatest risk amid COVID-19.
- Do you need transportation? Go to Eldercare Locator for local services.
- Do you need medicine? Go to GoodRX or NeedyMeds, en Español.
- Do you need help with Medicare? Get advice from your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program or from Medicare.gov, en Español.
- Do you need benefits assistance? On BenefitsCheckUp.org, you’ll find options in your state to help with utility bill payments, prescription drug costs, and more.
AARP's Resources on Coronavirus
- Preparedness for Caregivers During COVID19 (English | Español)
- Website: There are a number of timely, caregiving-specific articles on this page www.aarp.org/coronavirus
National Council on Aging
- Resources for Older Adults: https://www.ncoa.org/covid-19-resources-for-older-adults/
- Resources for Professionals: https://www.ncoa.org/covid-19-resources-for-professionals/
- COVID-19 Recursos En Español: https://www.ncoa.org/about-ncoa/bienvenidos-a-ncoa/covid-19-recursos-para-adultos-mayores-y-sus-cuidadores/
- COVID-19 Community Response Fund
- Press release: https://www.ncoa.org/news/press-releases/ncoa-launches-covid-19-community-response-fund/
- Landing page: www.ncoa.org/ResponseFund
- COVID-19 Video: What You Need to Know About COVID-19 https://youtu.be/TORLaeTLguU
- COVID-19: Finding Affordable Food: https://youtu.be/j6p_3hlp8jc
Medicare.gov: Look out for COVID-19 scams
Unfortunately, scammers are using the COVID-19 pandemic to try to steal your Medicare Number, personal information, and money. And they're using robocalls, social media posts, and emails to do it.
Remember, if anyone reaches out to get your Medicare Number or personal information in exchange for something, you can bet it's a scam.
Be on the lookout, so you can stop scams before they happen. Here are recent Coronavirus scams to watch for:
- Robocalls offering you respiratory masks they'll never send
- Social media posts fraudulently seeking donations for non-existent charities, or claiming to give you stimulus funds if you enter your bank account information
- Fake testing kits, cures, "immunity" pills, and offers for protective equipment
Visit Medicare.gov/fraud for more information and tips on preventing Medicare scams and fraud.