Telemundo and mun2 Unveil National Multi-Platform “Vota Por Tu Fututro”/ “Vote 4 Ur Future” Campaign at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.
Networks To Empower U.S. Latinos To Register To Vote for the 2008 Presidential Election in Partnership with Rock The Vote, Democracia USA, US Hispanic Leadership Institute and League of United Latin American Citizens.
For more information, contact:
Michelle Alban, Telemundo Network 305-889-7182
Liane Ramirez, Goodman Media, 212-576-2700
Lizette J. Olmos, LULAC, 202-365-4553
WASHINGTON, D.C., OCTOBER 3, 2007— Telemundo, a leading producer of innovative and high-quality content for Hispanics worldwide, and mun2, the preeminent voice for Latino youth, announced today the launch of “Vota Por Tu Futuro” – “Vote 4 UR Future,” the networks’ national non-partisan Hispanic voter registration campaign. The campaign details were unveiled today at an event held at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.
The mission of “Vota Por Tu Futuro” – “Vote 4 UR Future” is to increase the number of Hispanic voters by educating, registering and inspiring Hispanics to exercise their power and voice through voting in the upcoming 2008 presidential election. In a strategic approach to reach U.S. Hispanics, Telemundo and mun2 will embark in a first-ever media driven campaign to implement a multi-platform initiative through broadcast, cable and the Internet. Through its cable network, mun2, “Vote 4 UR Future” will focus on motivating and mobilizing young Latinos in the U.S., who constitute the fastest-growing segment within the Nation’s Hispanic community.
“As a leader in Hispanic media, Telemundo recognizes the importance and impact U.S. Hispanics including our Latino youth, play in this country and the great potential they have to influence the upcoming Presidential election,” said Don Browne, President, Telemundo. “Telemundo and mun2, along with our partners, are proud to be a part of empowering and mobilizing our community to play a decisive role in the political process.”
At today’s event, the network unveiled research findings on how political Spanish-language ads and Spanish media impact U.S. Hispanic voter trends. The study, conducted by Telemundo in major-Hispanic markets as well as key-political battlefields, such as Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, Miami and Denver, tested a total of 600 Spanish dominant. Highlights of the findings show that two-thirds (69%) of U.S. Hispanics ages 18-49 trust television as their ultimate media source for obtaining information on the presidential election. Further information shows that the majority of Hispanics (70%) are in favor of the presidential candidates communicating with them in Spanish. Respondents also indicated they are more likely to register to vote upon seeing Spanish-language PSAs versus English-language PSAs. These results were more pronounced in major Hispanic markets namely New York, Chicago, Las Vegas and Denver.
In support of the campaign, Telemundo and mun2 have partnered with leading organizations Rock the Vote, Democracia USA, the U.S. Hispanic Leadership Institute and League of United Latin American Citizens. The collaborative efforts of all involved will be implemented through a variety of local events including, town halls, open forums and online polling, among many others.
Campaign Highlights Include:
- Telemundo’s PSA campaign features the network’s top news and sports talent including Pedro Sevcec, Maria Celeste Arraras, Maria Antonieta Collins, Jose Diaz-Balart, Mauricio Zeilic, Andres Cantor and Jessi Losada.
- The network’s programs including Cada Dia, Al Rojo Vivo, Noticiero Telemundo ,Primera Hora and Titulares Telemundo will all integrate voter registration information into their programs through celebrities, professional athletes and politicians.
- mun2 will feature weekly integrations and in-show mentions of the voter registration campaign within its programs including Vivo, One Nation Under Hip Hop, The mun2 Shift and 18 & Over. The network will also air originally-created promos and vignettes featuring network talent Yasmin Deliz, Crash, Renato Lopez and Frankie Needles. In addition, mun2’s fully-interactive website and bicultural youth portal will include editorial posts on campaign-related issues that affect Latino youth and allow visitors to register to vote at www.holamun2.com/vote.
- Telemundo owned and operated stations and affiliates will include “Vota Por Tu Futura” political reporting in local newscasts from September 2007-November 2008 as well as run PSAs featuring local news talent to complement the network campaign. Stations will also conduct local town hall meetings throughout 2008 leading up to the election. Each station will also provide information through its local website with links to Yahoo!Telemundo and its partners.
- Yahoo! Telemundo will provide online support to the initiative through various efforts including conducting online polls on issues that are important to Latino voters, offering educational material on the democratic and registration process and providing links to partner sites. Visitors will be able to register at www.yahootelemundo.com/votaportufuturo
- Telemundo, mun2 and its partners will coordinate various grass-roots marketing efforts through local consumer campaigns.
Telemundo, a U.S. Spanish-language television network, is the essential entertainment, news, and sports source for Hispanics. Broadcasting unique national and local programming for the fastest-growing segment of the U.S. population, Telemundo reaches 93% of U.S. Hispanic viewers in 142 markets through its 16 owned-and-operated stations, 36 broadcast affiliates, and nearly 700 cable affiliates. Telemundo is wholly owned by NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies.
mun2 is the preeminent voice for Latino youth in America. Launched in 2001 as the first national cable network to offer bilingual programming for young U.S. Latinos, the multiplatform youth entertainment network offers authentic content that reflects the lifestyle of this fast-growing segment of the population with original, relevant and cutting-edge programs in proven genres including music, movies, sports, fashion, and social activism. The network, which reflects emerging trends in all areas of pop and youth culture that are endorsed by its bicultural audience, is available nationwide on digital and analog cable, and satellite and free television. mun2 is distributed to nearly 17 million U.S. TV households. The network is part of Telemundo Cable Networks, a division of NBC Universal Cable Networks.
About Rock the Vote
Rock the Vote, a nonpartisan nonprofit organization founded in 1990 in response to a wave of attacks on freedom of speech and artistic expression, coordinates voter registration drives, get out the vote events, and voter education efforts -- all with the intention of building political power for our nation's youth and leveraging that political power to influence change in our country. Rock the Vote engages youth in the political process by incorporating the entertainment community and youth culture into its activities. From actors to musicians, comedians to athletes, Rock the Vote harnesses cutting-edge trends make political participation cool. Our work doesn't end when the polls close. We empower young people to create change in their communities and take action on the issues they care about.
About Democracia USA
Democracia U.S.A. (DUSA) is a national non-partisan Hispanic civic engagement program that seeks to increase the prominence and participation of Hispanics in the American democratic process through Empowerment, Leadership Training, and Civic Participation. DUSA also empowers Hispanics by increasing their participation in the electoral process and registering them as voters, educating them in a non-partisan way about important issues at stake and motivating them to vote on Election Day. Additionally, Democracia U.S.A. develops Hispanic leaders across America by teaching important leadership skills that they can use to champion causes and issues for the benefit of their respective communities. Finally, Democracia U.S.A. promotes greater civic participation by educating Hispanics about the American political process and encouraging them to participate within it as a means to improve their quality of life.
About U.S. Hispanic Leadership Institute
Since 1982, the United States Hispanic Leadership Institute, USHLI has been cultivating Hispanic Leadership all across the country and has developed into one of the most powerful, nationally and internationally recognized Latino non-profit organizations in the country by organizing and conducting nonpartisan voter registration and leadership development programs in 40 states. USHLI has registered more than 2.1 million voters since its inception. USHLI has been able to maintain a stable presence in hundreds of communities over the years by promoting empowerment and civic responsibility. USHLI’s mission is to fulfill the promises and principles of democracy by empowering minorities and similarly disenfranchised groups and by maximizing civic awareness and participation in the electoral process.
About League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
The League of United Latin American Citizens, the oldest and largest Hispanic membership organization in the country, advances the economic conditions, educational attainment, political influence, health and civil rights of Hispanic Americans through community-based programs operating at more than 700 LULAC councils nationwide