Program Coordinator-Policy & Legislation
Posted: Nov 25, 2020
Location: Washington, DC US
Company: The League of United Latin American Citizens
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor and analyze select federal and state legislation on matters affecting Latinos
- Build and maintain relationships with key federal, and state legislators, where applicable, to advance organizations legislative priorities
- Disseminate policy & legislation information to community members on a consistent basis
- Develop community materials to engage grassroots members
- Responsible for the oversight and delivery of advocacy, policy training, technical assistance, and other policy related activities for membership
- Represent LULAC at the federal, state, and local level at policy functions and attends congressional briefings and hearings as needed
- Plan and execute advocacy trainings and policy components at national events (LULAC National Convention, Legislative Conference, etc.)
- Draft memos, opinion pieces, and other content for dissemination in English and Spanish on LULAC’s political agenda for the media and publications as necessary
- Assist with media interviews, and communication of LULAC policy positions
- Disseminates relevant information to community members on a consistent basis
- Plans and executes LULAC’s national advocacy and information events with opinion leaders and influencers.
- Collect, analyze and synthesis data to include in related reports or for other purposes
Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science or experience may be substituted for education.
- Excellent skills in oral and written communication in Spanish and English
- Ability to manage responsibilities independently set goals, develop budgets, and track program deliverables
- Ability to cultivate positive working relationships internally and externally
- Exceptional organization skills and detailed oriented
- Experience or knowledge in policy and legislative work
- Skill in interviewing and relating to legislators and governmental staff and advocates
- Skill in building advocacy coalitions among people with diverse interests and need
- Knowledge of available resources to research needed information (data bases, library references or guides, governmental publications, analytical reports by the State Legislative Analyst, etc.)
- Working knowledge of word processing using Microsoft Office Suite
- Candidates with an undergraduate degree in Political Science or Government studies from accredited university.
- Three to five years’ experience working on grassroots advocacy, coalition-building, conducting community programming, and/or experience requiring analysis of policy, legislation, and regulations.
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Work Status: United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Required
Special Note: Due to current pandemic guidance, the person will be telecommuting until further notice. They may be asked to occasionally come to the office.
Salary Range: $ 42,000-$45,000
Commensurate according to years of experience. All employees must meet a 6-month probationary period. Continuation of this position after one year is dependent on the successful candidate meeting jointly determined performance goals.
• Accrual of 8 hours of sick time and 8 hours of vacation time per month
• 10 Paid Federal Holidays
• Retirement Plan
LULAC is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. LULAC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. LULAC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.