Director of Policy and Legislation
Posted: Apr 12, 2021
Location: Washington, DC US
Company: The League of United Latin American Citizens
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead, develop and execute strategy to advance federal and state policy, and partner with external and regional stakeholders to cultivate congressional/ governmental champions.
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, state and federal elected officials, influencers, members of policy and advocacy foundations, coalitions, and key partners to advance policy goals.
- Serve as top policy expert and represent the organization in discussions and presentations with external stakeholders as needed.
- Create tools, reports and op eds or other various forms of communication that promote the policy agenda.
- Lead, write, and coordinate policy and advocacy initiatives that are relevant to improving the organization and its membership.
- Monitor and identify relevant federal, state, and local policies and prepare appropriate policy analysis.
- Research and analyze white papers, laws, publications, briefs, case studies and monitor proposed policy efforts at the local, state, and federal level that will impact the organization policy agenda its membership.
- Review and/or recommend on the policy agenda.
- Conduct research and develop briefings on key policy issues as needed.
Bachelors or graduate degree in Political Science or other related majors.
- Expert understanding of tactics to drive a policy and advocacy strategy.
- Ability to analyze policies for impact on policy agenda.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Constructive and effective relationship building across the political spectrum.
- Capitol Hill or state legislature experience preferred.
- Strong political acumen and significant experience navigating complex environments to derive creative solutions.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills, including building and maintaining coalitions.
- Experience in effectively managing a high-performing team.
- An understanding of advocacy and mobilization of Latino communities.
- Fluent in English and Spanish language. Must be able to read, write and translate materials.
- Minimum 7-10 years experience in a leadership policy related position.
- Supervisory experience
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Work Status: United States Citizen or Permanent Resident Required
Special Note: Due to current pandemic guidance, the person will be telecommuting until further notice. They may be asked to occasionally come to the office.
Salary Range: $72,000-$81,500/year
Commensurate according to years of experience. All employees must meet a 6-month probationary period. Continuation of this position after one year is dependent on the successful candidate meeting jointly determined performance goals.
• Accrual of 8 hours of sick time and 8 hours of vacation time per month
• 10 Paid Federal Holidays
• Health, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance available for enrollment
• Retirement Plan
How to Apply: Candidates should submit their resume demonstrating qualifications, education and work experience required for the position. All applications must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00pm EST on the closing date. Any questions may be directed via email to the Human Resource Officer at email@example.com
LULAC is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. LULAC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or physical disability, or any other legally protected basis. LULAC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.