As key elements of the law have gone into effect and as many more continue to be carried out, millions of Latinos are seeing and will see a noticeable difference in the cost and quality of their health care.
Thanks to the Affordable Care Act:
- We have expanded coverage for young adults. 2.5 million more young adults through the age of 26 have health insurance on their parent’s plan.
- We have gained protection for seniors. 5.1 million people with Medicare saved an average of $635 on the cost of their prescription drugs. And everyone on Medicare can get preventive services like mammograms for free.
- We have coverage, regardless of pre-existing conditions. It is illegal for insurance companies to deny coverage to children because of a pre-existing condition. And in 2014, discriminating against anyone with a pre-existing condition will be illegal.
- Small businesses have lower costs. Tax credits are making it easier to provide coverage. In 2011, 2 million workers benefitted.
- We have a Patients’ Bill of Rights protecting us from lifetime limits on coverage, requiring coverage of preventative services like cancer screenings without a co-pay, and requiring that more of our premium dollars are spent on health care costs, not administrative costs.
We want to hear from you. How have these provisions improved your care?