Community Programs Fellow
Posted: Mar 9, 2017
Location: Washington, DC US
Company: The League of United Latin American Citizens
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 06-2017
OPENS: March 10, 2017
CLOSES: March 23, 2017
Community Programs Fellow
Location: Washington, D.C. / National Headquarters
Reports to: Director of Programs
Position Description: The Community Programs Fellow will primarily support LULAC’s Pocket Smart Initiative, Latinos Living Healthy Initiative, and other LULAC National programs as assigned. LULAC’s community programs seek to empower LULAC members and local nonprofit partners to operate innovate programs in their local communities. These programs help drive change from within and create long lasting impact for those we seek to serve
Pocket Smart Initiative: Building knowledge about personal finance – or financial literacy – enables people of all ages to manage their financial lives with confidence. The Pocket Smart is a program designed to economically empower Latino consumers through the development strong financial management skills. The program provides knowledge, insights and tools on a wide range of topics including budgeting, saving, credit, retirement and consumer protection.
Latinos Living Healthy Initiative: Latinos face many health disparities that contribute to high rates of chronic and preventable illnesses and an overall greater risk of poor health outcomes; including low rates of health insurance coverage, health care access and health literacy; and high rates of diabetes, HIV/AIDS and obesity. This initiative works to address this through grassroots activations, national events and health advocacy
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all program goals and objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Collect, analyze and synthetize data from program sites to include in related reports.
- For programs requiring subgrants, manage the process including:
o Editing the Request for Proposal.
o Outreach to secure grantee and community engagement.
o Evaluating grantees.
o Ensuring timely sub grantee reporting.
o Develop and lead facilitator trainings.
o Coordinate event details.
o Maintain constant communication with council or partner needs.
o Ensure all requirements and guidelines are met.
o Prepare check requests as needed.
- Write and submit articles to for the LULAC News magazine or other publications.
- Responsible for all administrative functions necessary to the completion of job duties.
- Undertake other assignments from time to time as requested by the Executive Director.
Education: Undergraduate degree, or actively pursuing an undergraduate degree in Communications, English, Education, Public Health, Social Work, Community Development or other related field. Recent college graduates will also be considered
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience working with grassroots advocates, Latinos, immigrant community members, employers, government and corporate grant officers and community based organizations.
- Thorough knowledge of Windows, MS Office, and the Internet. Excellent writing and strong organizational skills. Advanced Adobe skills are strongly preferred.
- Flexibility with regard to schedule, working hours, and assignments, including ability to work evenings and weekends when necessary.
- Ability and willingness to travel in connection with program and office requirements (throughout the United States and Puerto Rico).
- Ability to communicate in Spanish
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Work Status: United State Citizen or Permanent Resident Required
Position Details: Flat Stipend of $2,960 / month. Position available for full time schedule only. Position available through February 29, 2018, must be based in Washington, D.C
How to Apply: Please send a resume, writing sample, and cover letter expressing interest in the position and date of availability to Elizabeth Garcia Bynum, Director National Programs at Egarcia@lulac.org. Please include “Community Programs Fellowship” in the subject line